Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day

Ahhh, It's Thanksgiving Day once again. One of the most exclusively American of the major holidays that we celebrate in this once great nation. This year the holiday falls on November 22nd which is also the birthday of our friend John Develis aka "John Dirt" or "Dirt Man" (never call him "The Dirt Guy"!). It's also the day that INXS (pronounced inks?) singer Michael Hutchence "took a belt and hung himself" ten years ago. More importantly, to us yanks, it is the date on which J.F.K. was gunned down in Dallas 44 years ago. Probably the most noteworthy thing he did as our 35th president. I'll never understand why the American people continue to canonize the Kennedys and all that "Camelot" bullshit. ........anyway, back to Thanksgiving Day. To many it means feasts and family gatherings. To me it means the beginning of the holiday crap and all the faux good will that comes with it. I think not of football,turkey and 'taters,but rather quarreling,loneliness, drunkeness and cracked windshields. I'm not completely bitter though. I am thankful for all my good friends (when I get down off my pity-pot and think about it,I am quite fortunate) and I'm thankful for the bountiful harvest. HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY TO ALL!!!!!

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Good post, insightfull (and correct) JFK comment